Claire Foy, the acclaimed British actress, and our forever Queen, has been quite busy lately. She recently sat down with The Guardian to discuss her latest film, Women Talking. The movie has been nominated for an Oscar and tells the powerful story of a religious community whose women discover they have been drugged and sexually abused by a group of men. Foy shares the screen with a talented ensemble cast, including Rooney Mara, Frances McDormand, and Jessie Buckley. In the interview, Claire spoke about gender, power, anger and the responsibility she felt in bringing these women’s stories to the forefront of the public consciousness. And to better understand the rich personality of this award-winning actress, we have gathered 10 facts about Claire Foy that you probably don’t know yet.
- 1. According to Claire, people barely recognise her in public. She claims to look too normal, like someone’s cousin or sister.
- 2. Claire had a really rough time when she was a teenager. Back in high school, she had arthritis and was unable to do sports, and in her last year, they also found a tumour behind her eye. She had to get surgery and therapy and was, fortunately, able to recover.
- 3. Although she starred in a Netflix series, she doesn’t use streaming services at home herself. In fact, Claire Foy does most of her movie-watching on aeroplanes.
- 4. The talented actress has not only played the Queen but also met her once in 2012.
- 5. Foy started filming The Crown just 4 months after giving birth to her daughter, Ivy Rose.
- 6. Speaking of Ivy Rose, she was on the set of The Crown many times and is a big fan of her mom’s charming co-star, Matt Smith. The mini-fan has even named a tree after him.
- 7. For her role as Lisbeth Salander in The Girl in the Spider’s Web, Claire Foy had to do lots of training and working out as, in fact, she did most of the stunts herself.
- 8. Foy is half-Irish and the youngest of three children. She was born on April 16, 1984, in Stockport, Greater Manchester, England and later moved to Buckinghamshire.
- 9. The actress owns a Bechstein piano but cannot play because it stands right underneath her six-year-old daughter’s bedroom.
- 10. From the third season of The Crown on, Olivia Colman replaces Foy as Queen Elizabeth II. Claire Foy, by the way, was super happy about this fact and said she would love to come to the set as a fan from then on.
Feature Photo @Aubrey Gemignani with Claire Foy at the premiere of the movie First Man.